Saturday, May 10, 2008

Rebatching... Arghh!

I hate rebatching... seriously hate it. Just want to say that first!

After the larder soap had cooled, I took it out of the mold and used my handy dandy soap cutter to... well cut the soap. Oh it was rather pretty for the odd way it went together... a nice creamy base and then about an inch of purple on top.. and because we had to smush it all together the part on top wasnt a straight line... but dipped and rose. A look I rather liked... but...

BUT there were pockets of liquid here and there... oh it was so sad... so I took a bit of the liquid and touched my tongue to it and ...

BLECH...

lye!

*sigh* so I cut it all up into little bits... about an inch square... threw it into my nice clean soaping pot... drizzled a bit of olive oil on top and popped it into the oven. I dont believe I needed to add the olive oil... I checked that recipe on three different sap calculators... but with lye swimming around in my soap... i wanted to be safe so in a tid bit of OO went. After it all melted and gelled again into a thick applesaucy looking mess... I pushed and squished it into my mold and slapped the top on and called it good.

When it was all cool... cut the soap again with the handy dandy soap cutter and now i have kind of grayish blue bars with some chunks of purple in it.

Rather cool looking but not what I wanted definitely. Still has a gorgeous lavender smell though so thats ok.

Will take a pic or two in a bit and post those babies. Wish i had taken a pic before the rebatch though... now those were pretty bars.

Larder soap


And yes I am aware that the picture is tilted to one side. I could tell you that I meant to do that... or I could blame it on the children who were crowded around me... or that the hubby goosed me on his way past. But the truth is ...

ummm...

what was I saying? :P

~Regi

No comments: