Friday, May 9, 2008

Larder soap... the next day.

Well I made my soap last night. I actually went to do it on Wednesday night but could only find my smaller scale. I have one that weighs out items to 1000 grams and one that can weight to 0.1 gram. Couldnt find the larger one so we ended up putting everything away so that I could look for it on Thursday, and soap that evening. I also discovered that some of my EOs were kind of icky in the bottom of the jars. They smelled nice but when I held one of the bottles up to the light there was stuff on the bottom of the jar. Thank goodness the bulgarian lavender was ok... but the rosemary and teatree oils both had some funky growths. Perhaps they were fine... but Im not going to take a chance on putting something "bad" into my soaps. So I need to do some research on eos... shelflife and how to dispose of them if they have gone over.

So Thursday night I soaped. Scented with the Bul. Lavender (damn I missed that stuff... it smells so good) and a bit of tea tree eo i had in the medicine cabinet. Meant to give it a purple swirl... but the stuff took off and was ready to be molded before I could swirl. So we mushed the purple soap on top of the uncolored part and popped it into a preheated oven. I often soap ITMHP which means I make my soap the cold process way... but use a oven safe mold and "cook" the soap... errr bring it to gel using the heat in the oven. Then leave it in the oven over night. Often its ready to cut the next morning. But alas... I think the soap gremlins were at my house.

That would explain the gucky eos, the missing scale, the incredibly fast trace... it didnt seize persay... but that sucker went fast. This morning when I checked the soap there were small clear bubbles of liquid on top of the soap. When i moved the mold some of the larger "bubbles" jiggled. Inside the wooden mold the liner is still warm so I am hoping its excess oils that will be reabsorbed as the soap cools. We can hope anyways.

It smells nice! Not sure what else to say about it until i can get it out of the mold and cut. That will tell the story then.

I think the next thing in the soap pot will be a plain soap... perhaps scented with a FO that doesnt accelerate trace... and just olive with a touch of pko and castor... or perhaps just olive oil... and I will be ultra careful... soap a lot cooler then I used to etc.

I guess it was a bit much to jump back into soaping after so much time away and expect to be able to scent, swirl err... layer, and use a brand new to me oil... and expect it to turn out perfectly. Thats asking a lot.

~regi

No comments: